Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Calling all mothers...


Okay, so I need to know if I am doing this right or not. Ava has slept swaddled almost every night since night 1 in the hospital. She is now almost 6 months old and we are trying to get her used to sleeping unswaddled. She will fall asleep just fine on her own. I can now lay her down in her crib, but she will only last one-two hours unswaddled. After that I very lightly swaddle her so that her arms stay by her side. This then will keep her okay for another 3-4 hours. Help. What I am I doing wrong that #1 she is not sleeping through the night yet and #2 that she needs to be swaddled. If you have read my blog not too long ago she slept 8 hours straight for four nights, but that was short lived. I am open to all ideas except to let her cry. I have spent 6 months building this trust that I will come when she needs me I am not about to break that now.

3 comments:

Plunger Girl said...

I know jackcrap about swaddling. Just thought you might like to know that. I do think you would benefit from painting your nails in the latest dark nail polish style. It looks cool. I got a dark purple that is almost black. Go try it. You'll like it. As for swaddling, who the F knows. Do whatever you want.

Unknown said...

It took Chaz like 6 months before he would even sleep in his own bed. It may sound mean and awful, but you may just need to let her cry and not run in there to get her and sooth her back to sleep. They have to learn to put themselves to sleep. After about 3 or 4 nights he was sleeping through the night and putting himself to sleep. Hope this helps.

Chris said...

You're doing fine. Don't let anyone tell you you're doing it wrong. Some babies like swaddling, others don't. Mine hated it, so we stopped really early on. One thing that always worked for me was a Google search or even going to Babycenter.com and looking through their forums or articles on the subject. Maybe try gradually weaning her of it, leaving her arms out but having the rest of her swaddled, etc. Just keep trying. She'll get it! I agree about the cry it out thing - she's too young, and it'll hurt your heart. Follow your gut and you'll be fine. :) Good luck!